The first bridge built here (Pitt Street) was nothing more than floating barrels and planks. From the revolutionary war through civil war it was used that way. An 1898 rebuild made it a trolley bridge to Sullivan Island, South Carolina. 1923 saw a car lane added (think Ford Model T), and finally closed in 1950.
Now however southern shore birds call what is left home.
A green way and pier connect to the remaining trolley pylons and braces.
Pitt street is home to the only people friendly Kingfishers in the world, no, make that the galaxy. Of course none were around the other day. It’s still a place to get close to the locals, like the birds here.