Grove Plantation, in Adams Run, South Carolina was begun with a land grant in 1694. The land, and buildings, changed hands 9 times before the US Civil War. This was very unusual since most plantations remained in the same family for generations.
The main house (above) was built in 1828. It is one of a very few antebellum plantations not burned by the Union Army.
Prior to the Civil War this plantation was merged with nearby Pine Plantation making this a large land holding. It was (still is) remote from the centers of commerce. At one point the Grove Plantation also ran schooners between Charleston and the rural plantations as a business.
Now the plantation connects to a state road with a private 2 mile dirt road.
Like most plantations roads lead to the back of the build.
South Carolina did what most US states could not. They created a huge Nature Conservancy and partnership with public and private lands. Grove Plantation borders this but is owned by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The wildlife management area has 23 boat launches in 350,000 acres (1,400 km) here.