Built in 1803, it was designed by Gabriel Manigault to be the home of his brother, and is nationally significant as a well-executed and preserved example of Adam style architecture. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
The family were French Huguenots that fled to Charleston due to religious persecution from the French Catholic government. Charleston has one of the first Huguenot Churches in the US (click here to view our article), services are still done in French.
At some point this building was to be demolished to allow a filling station on the property. The Charleston Preservation Society was formed, this being their first of many projects.