This may be one of the most photographed places in the Lowcountry. While people associate the church and graveyard with Charleston is actually closer to Beaufort, South Carolina.
The traditional understanding is that Prince William’s was burned by the British in 1779 during the Revolutionary War, rebuilt in 1826, and then burned again in 1865 during the Civil War by the Federal Army under General William T Sherman’s orders.
The church was built as a ‘chapel of ease’ in the English Georgian style, using the Roman Tuscan or Doric order, between 1745 and 1753. Chapel of Ease being a church building to provide members with a place of worship in rural areas where the main church is too far.
Inside the ruins of the church lie the remains of Colonel William Bull, who “greatly assisted General Oglethorpe in establishing the physical layout of Savannah, Georgia. Bull surveyed the land in 1733 to form the basic grid pattern of the streets and squares.” The ruins may be the halfway mark between Charleston and Savannah.