The Society was original created in 1737 by the French Huguenots in Charleston. The purpose was to raise money for local members in need. At first they met in taverns. In 1804 this building was erected to provide a school and event space. Also English and Scottish members were allowed.
As with everything in the area the Civil War damaged the building, money was lost, and members killed. Over time repairs were made and the organization grew again.
Today only direct descendants of the original members are allowed.
This building is on a side street with many cars and getting a full frontal photograph is all about dumb luck. The entrance way shown here displays the dual stairways common to town.