Built in 1750 this is the oldest surviving church in Charleston.
St. Michael’s sits on one of the ‘four corners of law’ and represents ecclesiastical law. The other corners are the country courthouse, city hall, and federal courthouse. All are 200+ years old and listed on the various national registries.
This building survived both the Revolutionary and Civil War.
The stained glass windows include works by the famous Tiffany Studios.
The church grave yard contains a long list of major US historical figures include signers of the US Constitution. Charleston was one of the wealthiest cities before the Civil War and all the church’s in town reflect this.
This series of photographs were in shot March 2020.
Also on this web site are similar articles presenting many of the other historical churches in Charleston and the surrounding area.