Approximately 15 miles upriver from Charleston this early plantation sits on the Ashley River. The buildings were started in 1730.
The Middleton family was one of the wealthiest plantation owners of the time owning 20 plantations consisting of 50,000 acres (20,000 ha). A Middleton was the president of the First Continental Congress, and another a signer of the Declaration Of Independence.
Toward the end of the U.S. Civil War, Union soldiers burned most of the house, leaving only the south wing and gutted walls of the north wing and main house.
Yes it is made of brick, no big white columns or veranda for mint juleps. Earlier planters discovered their big homes easily caught fire. Bricks were easy to make due to the close by marshes. Most all plantation buildings were made of brick by the 1800’s.
There is one that fits the Hollywood design. McCloud Plantation, a cotton plantation in Charleston looks the part. Actually the back of the original main house was modified after the Civil War and it looks like a ‘Gone With The Wind’ movie set.
Charleston, South Carolina.