In a town filled with beautiful and famous old churches St. Philips has become the symbol of Charleston.
When in town we cannot help but walk by it, or even cut through the cemetery going about our business.
The first church building was completed in 1681. Of course hurricanes, fire, war, and earthquakes made repairs and changes necessary.
The tall steeple (tallest structure in Charleston) served as a light for sailors entering the harbor. It was also used as a target by Union gunners during the Civil War, and a lookout by Confederate gunners at the same time.
The church is the burial place for many US historical figures. Signers of the Constitution, Declaration Of Independence, and members of the original Continental Congress are buried here.
Above the tomb of John C Calhoun sits in the church yard. He was the Vice President of the US, Secretary of War, Secretary of State, just about everything except president… not that he didn’t try.
For many reasons he is among the most infamous politicians in the history of the US.
St. Philip’s , Charleston SCSt. Philip’s, Church Street, Charleston, South Carolina.