Chapel Of Ease

Chapel Of Ease

There are still the remains of several ‘chapels of ease’ around rural South Carolina. Some are almost gone, this one is in better shape.

Chapel Of Ease
Chapel Of Ease

The Anglican chapel was constructed in 1740 by planters on Saint Helena Island as a chapel of ease for parishioners who had difficulty traveling to worship at the main parish church in Beaufort, South Carolina. The ruins were added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. 

 

Leave a Reply