The ruins of the Anglican Prince Williams Parish, 1757
In 1779 the church was burned by the English army during the US Revolutionary War. It was rebuilt only to be damaged in 1866 during the Civil War. Traditional history has another fire. However a letter dated 1866 has the damaged church ‘torn apart’ and used to repair homes burned by the Federal Army. Whatever happened… as usual fire was involved.
Plantation owners, notably the Bull family of nearby Sheldon Plantation, provided funds to support the parish. The Bull family members are buried (above) in the old church yard.
The area is called the Sheldon Ruins based on the nearby plantation.
Yamasee, South Carolina.