The plantation was established in 1735, and its main house exhibits one of the earliest known examples in the United States of a temple front in domestic architecture. It is also one of the state’s finest examples of a wood frame Georgian plantation house. (Wikipedia)
The house has an evolutionary construction history, begun in 1735 and ending roughly in 1790-91. The original owner of the land, and first section of the house was a French Huguenot refugee. Successive owners were each among the founders of South Carolina, and Charleston.
The final owner Archibald Rutledge was a poet laureate and educator. The property is currently owned by the state and is a National Landmark.
The site is in the Santee Delta of South Carolina.