Its construction began in 1772 when the Society of Dissenters (now known as the Circular Congregational Church) needed more space than its Meeting Street location could provide. It was nearly complete in 1776 when the Revolutionary War began, finally being repaired and officially dedicated in 1787.
During the past several years we photographed the interiors, focusing on lighting from stained glass, of multiple cathedrals and historic churches. So when given the chance to just walk in and shoot we jumped at it.
The fan vaulted ceiling (see above) is rare and considered one the best built.
Since this wasn’t a planned shoot we could not really ask them to turn all the lights off. A little pushy, so we went with what we had.