The first cathedral was built in 1854 but it burned in the great Charleston fire of 1861. An enormous part of the city was destroyed. This building was started in 1890, completed in 1907.
The church is known for it’s rare Franz Mayer & Co. stained glass.
Like many of the Charleston churches, and there are many, the doors can usually be found open to the public. Sad, but not common anymore.
This is the first article in a series of photographs of this historic church.