The Charleston Jail was opened in 1802 when the prisoners well being was not all that important.
The third floor in the image above held the prisoners considered dangerous. Each cell held men, women, and children in an area about 12×12.
A small coal fireplace in one corner provided some heat in the winter.
Each floor held a different type of prisoner. The first floor was for guards, supplies, and special people of Charleston society. Second floor was a debtors prison, third for long term inmates.
The only personal hygiene considerations was a communal bath on the first floor for the removal of lice.
Light and fresh air came from an air shaft center of the building.
The jail was shutdown in 1939.