St. Helena Chapel Of Ease on St. Helena island.
Built around 1740 of tabby construction this is one of the few Chapels of Ease the public still has access too. By some miracle there has been no theft or vandalism. A sad but true fact is all the other ruins of chapels are now behind fences.
Members of the Bull family, from Bull plantation, are buried in the nearby graveyard. The church and plantations were abandoned when news came of the invasion of Beaufort and Port Royal by Union troops during the Civil War.
During and immediately after the war the chapel was used to support the freemen (enslaved people suddenly free with no support).
A large forest fire on the island burned the structures and repairs were never done. Until the 1940’s when a bridge was built there was no access to this island other than small boats.