This chapel of ease, on Strawberry Bluff, was built in 1725. The parish church, Biggins, was too far for the planters to attend services. Only a single church was allowed in the Anglican parish, however they could allow a chapel with limited functions such as baptisms and marriages.
At various times Strawberry was both a chapel and church. The parish church Biggins burned in a forest fire, was rebuilt and burned again by the British troops during the revolution, finally ruined during the Civil War.
Each time Biggins was damaged Strawberry became the temporary parish church.
Four communion services are held annually which visitors may attend. Strawberry Chapel and its burial grounds are on private property and not open to the public.